Every June the LGBTQ+ community and its allies celebrate Pride month. We sat down with Thryv user, Dr. Yulien Cruz-Davis, owner of Cruz Davis Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, to talk about his experience as an LGBTQ+ small business owner, and how allies can support all year long.
A Passion for Dentistry
Dr Cruz-Davis, an alumni of the University of Florida College of Dentistry, has been in the industry for nine years. His passion began as a young boy in Cuba.
It’s been fueled through his own dental procedures — including breaking his front teeth following years of braces.
There was a moment that I said, maybe this is a calling for me. I need do something to redirect this energy and start helping people feel confident about their smile.
Life as a LGBTQ+ Small Business Owner
Dr. Cruz-Davis explained that people doubted him as he started his career, that patients might not accept him. But in the years since, people have been more supportive than anything else.
When it comes to showing support for the LGBTQ+ community, Dr. Cruz-Davis believes it’s all about respect.
In addition to treating others the same way you’d treat family, Dr. Cruz-Davis said another great way to be an ally is to support organizations designed to assist LGBTQ+ small business owners and the community — not just in June, but all year long.
In the U.S., there are 1.4 million LGBTQ-owned businesses responsible for an estimated $1.7 trillion in revenue. For members of the community looking to take the leap into entrepreneurship, Dr.Cruz-Davis shares this advice:
Don’t let your fears or insecurities drive you not to follow your dreams.
As a Thryv user, we asked Dr. Cruz-Davis how smart software has helped him run and manage his business.
Just like the training and skills you need to run a business of any kind, he said it’s important to have all the right tools including scheduling, accepting payments and building a website.
“That is how software can make you successful in business. So I can focus on doing what I love which is dentistry and let everybody else do the rest.”
Click below to watch the entire interview.
Resources for LGBTQ+ Small Business Owners
Thryv is proud to help small business owners of all types run and manage their businesses, and make their passion a reality. If you’d like to learn more or are an LGBTQ+ small business owner, check out these resources.
- The National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) is an advocacy organization and the business voice of the LGBTQ+ community as well as the largest certifying body for LGBTQ-owned businesses.
- StartOut provides resources for LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs. The nonprofit promotes equality and combats discrimination specifically in the business industry.
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation is responsible for implementing several programs addressing the persistent forms of stigma, intolerance and inequality that affect LGBTQ+ communities.
- The National Center for Transgender Equality focuses all its efforts on advancing the civil rights of transgender people, working to advocate for awareness and equality through media campaigns and public policy.
- Out & Equal is a nonprofit dedicated to ensuring all workplaces have a culture of belonging, so employees can feel safe, appreciated and as worthy as they are while in their place of business.
- OutProfessionals is the country’s leading LGBTQ+ networking organization, with monthly virtual and in-person networking opportunities and community service activities.